Practical Information

All the information you need to travel around Extremadura with ease

  1. Plan your Trip
  2. Practical Information

Did you know?

All the information you need to travel around Extremadura with ease


Extremadura has a predominately Mediterranean climate with mild winters due to the proximity of the Atlantic Ocean. There are few rains in autumn and winter except for the north of the region. Summers are hot with maximum temperatures above 30ºC. It is one of the sunniest areas of the Iberian Peninsula with 2,600 - 2,700 hours of sunshine a year.


The required documentation will depend on the tourist's country of origin.

Anyone coming from the European Union will only need to have their national identity document.

Tourists coming from countries outside the European Union will need to carry a valid passport and the pertinent visa.


In an emergency, call 112.

For any emergencies, you can go to any one of the healthcare centres of the nearest town/village. In the event of serious illnesses, you should go to the emergencies section of any one of the hospitals in Extremadura.

If you are a Spanish citizen, you can show the card of your autonomous community.

For people from a country of the European Union, in order to receive free healthcare you will have to display the European Health Card (EHC) in force, issued in your country of origin. If you do not have the EHC, the patient will have to pay for the healthcare services needed in healthcare centres and in hospitals.

If you do not come from an EU country, you will have to find out in your country of origin how to get access to free healthcare in Spain.

Chemists are able to sell you medicines prescribed by a doctor or simple basic first aid materials. Chemists are identified with a green cross, and there is always a 24-hour chemist open in the event of emergencies.


In the event of an emergency, you can dial 112.

Should you experience a robbery, loss or any other problems which could arise during your trip, you can go to one of the police stations of the National Police, the Civil Guard, or the Local Police.


The official currency is the EURO, as it is throughout the Eurozone of the European Union. There are 6 types of coins and 7 types of bank notes. To know how the banknotes and coins are you can visit

You can exchange your foreign currency in any bank or savings bank, in airports, certain hotels and travel agencies. Generally speaking, banks are only open in the morning.

Credit card payments are accepted in most establishments.


What time is it in Extremadura? Official time in Extremadura is GTM +1 hour in Winter and GTM +2 hours in Summer. Daylight Saving Time starts on last Sunday of March at 02:00 a.m., when clocks are turned forward to 03:00 a.m. It ends on last Sunday of October at 03:00 a.m., when clocks are turned backward 1 hour to 02:00 a.m.

Restaurants and bars

Restaurant and bar opening hours can vary depending on the establishment, but by and large breakfasts are served between 8-10am, and lunch is between 1 and 3.30pm. And dinners are usually served between 8.30pm and 11pm. Some establishments offer a 24h service.

Cinemas, theatres, concerts, museums and exhibition centres

Cinemas and theatres usually open in the afternoon/evening from 4pm to 11pm. Concerts are usually scheduled from 9pm onwards. And museums and exhibition centres usually have the same opening times as shops.

Pubs, discotheques and nightclubs

Pubs, discotheques and nightclubs open from Thursday to Sunday until about 3am or 4am in the morning. The largest discotheques can open until dawn (until 6 or 7 in the morning).


Shops usually open from 9.30am to 2pm and from 4.30pm to 8.30pm. Department stores are usually open all day, from 10am to 9.30pm or 10pm. These opening hours may vary depending on the time of year, as there can be different summer and winter opening hours.


Public holidays:

Or ask at the respective tourist offices 



- Calls:

To call Extremadura from another country you just have to add 0034 before the number that you are going to call.

If you wish to make a call from Extremadura to another country, you will need to dial 00 followed by the prefix of the country you are going to call and the number in question.

- Mobile telephones

If you travel to Extremadura from outside Spain and want to use your mobile phone in the region, you may need to activate the roaming service.

- Letters, telegrams and faxes

You can acquire stamps for letters in any tobacconist, in certain bookshops and in Post Offices. You can send a letter by placing it in any of the yellow post boxes, or by going to a Post Office.

Post Office employees will be able to explain how to send telegrams or faxes.

- Internet

Most tourist services offer WIFI connections for their guests or customers. If not, you can go to any public library, Internet café or new knowledge centre in the town or village.


If you believe that the tourism services you receive do not conform to the level offered by the companies beforehand, you are entitled to make a claim or a complaint.

All establishments are obliged to put “complaint forms” at the disposal of customers. These forms can be used to express the customer's specific complaint in writing.

There also establishments where you go to make your complaints in person: Consumer Offices and the tourist information offices.


- Electrical appliances:

Electrical appliances work at 220 V, AC, 50Hz, and sockets admit the European round pin system.

- Driving in Spain:

You have to be of adult age (over 18) and have a valid driving license.

- Language:

Spanish is the official language spoken in Extremadura.

More suggestions